Monday, November 14, 2011

Anatomy of a Logo: Epic Illustrated, Part 1



Epic Illustrated was a magazine published by Marvel in 1980. I don't have any calendar records on this assignment so I will try to reconstruct how my logo came to be in 1979.

It was in late August 1979 when Jim Salicrup called me (this was when I had a room at Continuity Associates). He asked me to develop some logo designs for Epic Illustrated. I don't recall if he described what the magazine was about. Prior to this, I did the Caleb Hammer logo which was published in Marvel Premiere, number 54; Salicrup was the editor. That particular job was a referral from Tom Orzechowski, but that's a story for a later time.

On August 25 I began making thumbnail sketches on the back of old Continuity Associates flyers (8.5 by 11 inches / 21.6 by 28 centimeters), and sheets of tracing paper.



Two sketches on the far right would be developed.



No sketches were developed.



Three sketches at the top would be developed.



These sketches would be developed.



The bottom two sketches would be developed.



The bottom left sketch would be developed.



No sketches were developed.


From these sketches I refined four designs which will be examined, one at a time, over the next four days.


(Tomorrow: Part 2 of 5)

2 comments: